Windshield Wiper Pressure Mapping
Utilizing a tactile pressure sensor, the Wiper™ System measures wiper blade to windshield interface force profiles under various testing conditions. The Wiper system measures the force distribution along the entire length of the blade at different positions on the windshield, providing important insights to improve design. It is used as a research and development tool to improve blade and wiper system performance under different conditions such as "lift-off".
Various industry leaders such as Ford, Hyundai, Nissan, Bosch, Toyota, and Valeo use the Wiper pressure measurement system to test windshield wiper performance.
Wiper pressure profile
- Map force distribution along wiper blade
- Access real time or recorded data
- Dynamic measurement for "lift-off" testing
- Collects and consolidates static measurements at different angles to capture full wiper cycle
- Graphic and analysis capabilities
See how pressure mapping can play a role in evaluating product performance, such as the case with windshield wipers:
Wiper™ System Components
- Evolution™ Handle - (data acquisition electronics) connects to the sensor to gather data, process it, and send it to the PC via USB connection.
- PB5E equilibration device - the equilibration process compensates for any variation or uneven output across individual sensing elements caused by manufacturing or repeated used of the sensor.
- Wiper™ Software CD
- Tactile pressure sensors - model #9901 & #9920
Wiper force and pressure measurement system with pressure sensor model #9920.
Components depend on system configuration. Additional items may be included with your system purchase.
- Minimally intrusive, flexible, thin-film sensor
- Specifically design for use with wiper blades
- Durable and reusable
- Thin & incompressible – dimensional stability is key for repeatable measurements.
Wiper™ System Software
Force output measured: wiper blade at 30° angle on windshield - Output displayed graphically: Force vs. Distance across sensor rows
- Access real time or recorded data in 2D & 3D
- Correlates pressure data to angular position of wiper blade
- Key metrics; total force, peak pressures, and center of force
- Multiple graph options to plot data
- View and compare multiple test results simultaneously
- Ability to attach a digital image to each frame of a Tekscan movie
- Export data to ASCII or AVI files